I officially hate it when people ask that question. As though there is some relief in getting bad news because there is some good news to go with it. But people say it all the time ... and here I am, asking you! I'll just make the decision and give you the good news first - because why should good news wait?
Good: My final home study application has been approved, so now we just have a couple of home visits and then we put together my dossier and wait for the official referral. This has been a lot of paperwork, time, doctor visits, and even one psychologist evaluation, but so so worth it. I cannot thank you all enough for your support through this all.
Bad: After my dossier is finished, nothing else can happen. At least not for now. I have received official word that all adoptions are completely frozen in the region where Tanya lives until the bilateral agreement is signed. This is something that the US signed last July, but Russia has yet to ratify. What this means is that instead of submitting my dossier, we will have to wait to move in the process until this is done. I'll be honest and tell you that when I first got this news, I just thought that everything would be okay - the timing would work and everything would just fall into place (denial). Then I moved to the crying phase, knowing that there is absolutely nothing I can do about this. And then I came back to God - where I should have started in the first place. The only thing that we can do for now is pray. We can pray that hearts will be softened. We can pray that processes will move along. We can pray for ratification - soon. God has the power to move mountains, so this is peanuts, right?
We'll be continuing to work the process as far as we can here, and we only ask that you join us in praying for a swift solution to this road block.
Don't forget the benefit concert is coming up soon! Sunday, April 22, 3:00pm at First Presbyterian Church in Muskegon on the corner of Sherman and Wickham. Hope to see a lot of you there!