Thursday, April 18, 2013

Silver Linings

You know how I've been lamenting not being farther in the process?  Not being one of those 'pipeline' families that the U. S. State Department is working so hard to push through?

We found out today that the Russian government is claiming that in 99 of those 200 or so cases the children have now been either returned to their birth parents, adopted by a Russian family, or placed with family members.  Now I would normally take all of this with a very large grain of salt, but it has been corroborated by locals in Russia and local newspapers there that certain children have recently been adopted (most certainly related to the fact that Russia just raised their adoption aid by seven times).  While I am so happy that these children have families, I do worry that families may have taken them in for the money and not to care for them as their own.  And there is also that extra stab that the country pushed their adoptions to ensure that the American families who loved them would not have a chance to adopt them.  Because yes, somehow I would be happy if Tanya found a good family all the way in Russia, but I just don't believe that is what is happening the majority of the time.

The other positive part of Russia pushing adoptions again is that they have updated their orphan databank, and we get a new picture of my baby.  She is growing so fast, and looks anything but happy in this picture, but I'll take it.  So here she is, bangs all grown out, hair a little lighter, looking so very grown up.


Don't get me wrong.  Things are bleak, and that is putting it lightly.  The Russians are standing solid on the fact that they will not make any effort to put though any American adoptions.  The law is the law, they said, and they will not try to break the law.  They do not want to break the law.  Or change the law.  For now, things will not change.

And so I'll choose to be hopeful and happy for what I can get.  Hopeful that after some time (yes, it will be quite some time) and much negotiating, my Tanya will come home.  And in the meantime, we'll keep looking for those silver linings.


"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."
Romans 12:12  





No comments:

Post a Comment